Bishops Stortford, England
Application deadline: 27th of October 2020
Function of the role
Part of the Diageo R&D Innovation community, this role delivers technical output that carries a financial impact and that consistently delivers and drives growth for Innovation and global R&D business needs.
About the role
The purpose of the role is to ensure Sensory and Consumer Guidance Function is a key business partner for the R&D satellite for all research and development projects.
Aspects of complexity include
The specific markets for this role is Europe and for the right candidate could grow to include Africa and Asia-Pacific.
Key partnerships with R&D technical teams, European Innovation marketeers, Innovation Consumer Planning and Insights and Supply Brand Technical Centres are required to have maximum impact of sensory & consumer guidance methodologies onto development and substantial innovation projects within navigate.
- Drive the Woodside Sensory & Consumer Guidance Team to provide superior partnerships, insights and consumer and sensory driven insights to the regional pipeline delivery, product developers and ensure Key Performance Indicators are embedded and reported as well as full delivery of business requirements.
- Internal & External Relationships:
- Establish strong internal network and ways of working with global sensory teams, Consumer Planning teams, R&D Innovation teams (liquid, packaging, long term science), Marketing Innovation and Global Brand Teams.
- Establish and ensure strong WOW with external sensory and consumer research suppliers.
- Provide support and visibility from Sensory and Consumer Guidance in all Internal and stakeholder tastings providing challenge and sensory guidance expertise to ensure stretch and greater degrees of objectivity are delivered and Best Practice guidelines are being followed. This could be via participation as a taster, but also by providing Moderator/Facilitating skills.
- Input into Interpretation, project direction and Technical Judgment decisions are also a key accountability.
- Design set up and manage internal or external agency sensory and consumer testing, questionnaire design, implementation, analysis, interpretation and reporting.
- Consultant and partner within the global sensory team by:
- Leading or collaborating with global sensory team in future facing research projects which will drive Sensory insights or technical research.
- Coaching of peers/other members of SCG team (satellite & global).
Experience / Skills
- 7+ years’ experience of leading sensory and consumer tests within an R&D environment
- Ability to turn data into true insights that will drive breakthroughs in product development
- Good understanding of key sensory and consumer methods: focus groups, quantitative in-hall test, descriptive profiling, preference mapping, discrimination testing
- Solid understanding of internal and external panels, panel training and leadership requirements
- Creative and passionate about innovation and sensory & consumer research, and partnering with project teams
- Excellent data analysis capabilities across sensory and consumer tests (Descriptive statistics, ANOVA and multiple comparisons, PCA, discrimination testing analysis, Preference Mapping).
- Knowledge of statistical software (XLSTAT preferred)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) and ability to adapt in style to reflect audience including conveying results in an easy to understand way.
- Compusense software knowledge desirable.