18 Month Fixed Term Contract
Department of Natural Sciences, School of Science and Computing, GMIT, Dublin Road, Galway, Ireland
Application deadline: April 2nd 2021
Extraction and exploitation of bioactive fish components for health enhancement (MaraBioactive)
An opportunity has arisen for a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to participate in a project focused on extraction and exploitation of bioactive fish components for health enhancement, with specific focus on their incorporation in innovative food products.
The Postdoctoral Researcher will work with a multi-partner network of scientists at the cutting edge of research on marine derived ingredients and their bioactive potential. GMIT is a partner in this project within the consortium of GMIT, UCC, UU and UL, contributing to the scientific development envisaged in the project, the delivery of the outputs and the dissemination events associated with the project. The project is funded by Department of Food, Agriculture and Marine – Food Institutional Research Measure.
The successful candidate will be involved in the tasks related to the development of products to incorporate the bioactive fish components.
- Design, manage and perform the research and technical tasks according to the project agreed timelines
- Maintain records and generate technical reports and data as required
- Participate in regular meetings with the project team to communicate project results and progress
- Work and interact on a regular basis with supervisory team required
- Any additional administration duties associated with the project
- Communicate results through workshops and scientific publications.
- A PhD in Food Science, Nutrition or a relevant discipline is required.
- The ideal candidate will have a background in food product development and sensory analysis.
- Experience in shelf life testing of food products.
- Knowledge of instrumental analysis of food physico-chemical characteristics and flavour analysis.
- The candidate will have a strong publication record, commensurate with their career stage and a demonstrated ability to work as part of a dynamic team.
Please see below document for all essential & desirable requirements.
The postdoctoral researcher will work on the project tasks dedicated to food product development. Data generated in the project will be used for the specific tasks. Among the key responsibilities are:
- Selection of potential food products for incorporation of bioactive fish components.
- To evaluate the effect of incorporation of bioactive fish ingredients on food physico-chemical attributes and techno- and bio-functionality.
- Evaluation and optimisation of sensory characteristics at the various stages of product development.
- Assessment of consumer acceptance and correlation with instrumental flavour analysis data.
€38,632.00 – €39,186.00 (Point 1 – Point 2 Post-Doctoral Researcher IUA Scale)*
*Starting salary is dependent on funding availability & experience and will also be market driven and discipline related. Pension Contribution: 20% of salary. **
**The appointee will not become a member of the Public Service pension scheme and the pension contribution will only be paid where an approved PRSA is established by the appointee.
Contact Dr Lisa Ryan firstname.lastname@example.org and Dr Francesco Noci email@example.com
Closing Date: 12 noon on Friday, 2nd April 2021
It is envisaged that interviews will take place week commencing 12th April 2021.