7th European Sensory Science Society Annual Symposium
Hosted by Sensory Food Network Ireland
Wednesday May 9th, 2018
Teagasc Food Research Centre, Ashtown, Dublin 15, Ireland
STUDENT COMPETITION – CALL FOR PAPERS – Deadline April 6th
A Taste of Culture: Understanding the Global Consumer and Sensory Perception
Sensory Food Network Ireland is delighted to host the European Sensory Science Society (E3S) Annual Symposium on May 9th, 2018 at Teagasc Food Research Centre, Ashtown, Dublin, Ireland.
The chosen theme for the one day symposium is ‘A Taste of Culture: Understanding the Global Consumer and Sensory Perception’, with presentations from the leading experts in sensory and consumer science. This symposium also provides excellent international networking opportunities for all attendees.
As the theme suggests the programme will focus on the cultural aspects of sensory science, thus appealing to a wide audience. The programme also includes a student session and a session focused on ‘non-food’ sensory science.
The European Sensory Society General Assembly, which is a closed meeting for E3S members, will take place on Tuesday May 8th, along with meetings of the working groups associated with ES3.
Wednesday, May 9th – E3S Symposium
Registration, Session Topics & Speakers
Registration for the symposium will open on Wednesday, May 9th at 8.30am and the event will commence at 9.15am with the following confirmed speakers.
Session 1: Sensory Science and the Consumer
Speakers: Dr Ciarán Forde, National University of Singapore; Ms Helen King, Bord Bia, Ireland; Dr Linda Farmer, AFBI, Northern Ireland.
Session 2: Cultural Aspects of Sensory Science
Speakers: Dr Julien Delarue, AgroparisTech, France; Dr Maurice O’Sullivan, UCC, Ireland; Dr Kieran Kilcawley, Teagasc, Ireland.
Session 3: Sensory Science: Beyond Food
Speakers: Ms Margaret Shine, SRL, Ireland; Ms Celine Marque, Oriflame, Ireland; Dr Tracey Larkin, LIT, Ireland.
There is an opportunity for students to present their research in a dedicated student session, where six ten minute oral presentations will feature. A poster presentation session will also take place throughout the day. Details on abstract submission are available here.
Please submit your abstract to: SensoryFoodNetworkIreland@teagasc.ie, stating your preference for an oral or poster presentation in the subject line of your email.
Deadlines: Only abstracts received by Friday April 6th, 2018 will be considered for presentation at the symposium. Queries: If you have any queries, please email SensoryFoodNetworkIreland@teagasc.ie
Registration fee – €100 Conference dinner – €50
Booking via Eventbrite here
Information for the delegates: E3S Dublin 2018 Delegate Travel Info
A limited number of rooms are reserved at the Crowne Plaza Blanchardstown.
To book call 00 353 1 8977721 quoting ‘E3S Symposium’.
Tuesday, May 8th – E3S Assembly and E3S Working Group Meetings and Workshops
- 13.00 – 15.00: E3S General assembly
- 15.00 – 15.30: Refreshment break
- 15.30 – 17.30: Working group meetings and workshops
- 17.30 – 18.00: Working groups feedback and close
- 18.00: Bus from Teagasc Food Research Centre to Crowne Plazza Hotel, Blanchardstown, Dublin
- 19.30: Symposium dinner at Crowne Plazza Hotel, Blanchardstown, Dublin (Booking via Eventbrite here)
E3S General Assembly – open only to up two representatives for each member country.
E3S Working Group Meetings and Workshops – open to all the E3S members
- E3S Children Working Group Workshop – Dr. Monica Laureati, University of Milan
Texture perception in children and implications for the perception of and preference for healthy food: the E3S Children WG cross-cultural study
In 2017, the E3S Children WG has started the B-Tex pan-European study to better understand how children perceive different texture properties and how this perception influences the acceptance and rejection of food. Currently, six countries from northern, central and southern Europe are collecting data within the B-Tex study. During this workshop, the preliminary results of the B-Tex study will be presented. Read more
- E3S Education Working Group Meeting, prof. Catherine Dacremont, Agrosup Dijon – Centre des Sciences du Goût et de l’Alimentation, and dr. Paula Varela, Nofima
- E3S PDO Working Group Workshop, dr. Mario Zannoni
15.30 – 16.30:
– M. Zannoni, F. J. Perez Elortondo, A proposal for the structure of a guideline for sensory analysis of PDOs food products and wines
– P. Piccinali, The E3S WG PDO at the “Journée internationale des Concours des Produits du Terroir” in Courtemelon, Switzerland, 30 september 2017
– L. Cunha, Results of a survey about consumers’ awareness, knowledge and image of PDO products in Portugal
16.30 – 17.00: Discussion
17.00-17.30: At the end of the workshop the WG PDO management meeting will be held.
- E3S Non food Working Group Meeting, dr. Jessica Dacleu, dr. Irene Bacle and dr. Celine Marque.
- E3S Student Group Meeting, dr. Martha Skinner